Monday, March 2, 2009
Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breasts
1 big basket mixed wild mushrooms (chanterelles, shitakes, white, etc.)
1 cup GF chicken stock
4 tbsp butter
2 shallot thinly sliced
1/4 tsp dried thyme
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2-3 Tablespoons crème fraîche
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup champagne or fruity/dry white wine
salt and pepper
1. Clean mushrooms and remove any sand.
Save a few whole for presentation.
2. Melt half the butter in a frying pan on medium high heat with one tablespoon olive oil.
Cook shallots until transluscent then add mushrooms.
Cook for 4 minutes longer or until tender.
Remove to a plate to cool.
3. Pull off petit filets from chicken breasts (the thin strip).
Make a pocket in each breast by slitting along the thick edge 2/3rd's down and 2/3rd's across.
Do not cut all the way through!
4. Fill each pocket with 2-3 Tablespoons of sliced mushrooms.
5. Melt remaining butter and olive oil in a non-stick skillet on medium high heat. When fat is hot add chicken and brown on each side.
Cook 6-8 minutes until they are nicely browned (flip once).
6. Remove chicken breasts and add wine.
Let reduce by half.
Add chicken stock and reduce again by half.
7. Whisk creme fraiche into sauce and let it reduce until slighly thickened.
It should coat the back of a spoon.
8. Add chicken breasts back to sauce and allow to simmer for another two minutes basting the chicken breasts a few times to give a glaze.
9. Remove breasts to serving plates, reduce sauce more if desired and spoon over chicken!