Friday, February 27, 2009
Aloo Matar (Potatoes with Peas)
Potatoes - 4 medium, 1/2 inch cubed
Frozen Green Peas - 16 oz packet
Oil - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Punjabi Masala - 1/2 cup (1/2 sandwich bag)
Chaat Masala - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Red Chili Powder - to taste
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Cilantro - finely chopped for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a pressure cooker.
2. Add Turmeric Powder and Punjabi Masala. Mix well.
3. Add Potatoes and stir to coat masala.
4. Add Salt, Red Chili Powder, Chaat Masala and Water. Mix well.
5. Close pressure cooker and cook until 1 whistle sounds. Turn off stove and allow the pressure from the cooker to come down.
6. Open pressure cooker and add Green Peas. Adjust salt and other spices as necessary.
7. Cook until Green Peas are no longer raw.
8. Garnish with cilantro and serve with chapati or rice.
9. Serves 6
1. Less water can be added if you don’t require a lot of gravy.
2. The same preparation can be done without a pressure cooker. Cooking time may be longer.