Friday, February 27, 2009
Potatoes - 2 large, boiled & peeled
Dried Fenugreek Leaves - 1 Tbsp (aka Kasoori Methi)
Roasted Peanuts - 2 Tbsp, roughly crushed
Onion - 1/4 medium, finely chopped
Green Chilies - to taste, finely chopped
Salt - to taste
Roasted Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Chaat Masala - 1 tsp
Dried Mango Powder - 1/4 tsp (aka Amchur)
Cilantro - 2 Tbsp, finely chopped
GF Bread Crumbs - as needed for coating tikkis
Oil - for pan frying
1. Using a grater, grate boiled potatoes (big shred). Potatoes can also be mashed using potato masher.
2. Add Onions, Peanuts, Cilantro, Green Chilies and Dried Fenugreek Leaves. Mix gently.
3. Add Salt, Chaat Masala, Roasted Cumin Powder and Dried Mango Powder. Mix well.
4. Apply a little Oil to your hands and take a portion of the potato mixture into your hands. Roll it into a ball and flatten it out gently. Tikki can be rolled small for appetizers or larger for veggie burgers.
5. Roll out all of the tikkis.
6. Pour out some GF bread crumbs on a flat plate and dip and roll the tikkis to coat completely.
7. Heat a little oil in a non-stick skillet on medium heat and shallow fry the tikkis until they are crispy and brown. Both sides should be browned.
8. Serve hot with mint or coriander chutney and tamarind chutney.